Its Better to Give than Receive

This past Sunday I had a Christmas party for my little Sunday school girls. They came to my house after church for pizza & cookie decorating. We then went to a local nursing home and handed out cookies and sang Christmas carols! The old folks (or "elderly" as one mother corrected me) loved it! When I asked how one woman how she was doing, she said "Much better now that you're here". I don't know if I have ever been to a nursing home in my life? I can't remember. I guess I wasn't anticipating how sad it might be. I was so glad the girls got a chance to minister and love on these people! Here are a few pictures (thanks to my sweet husband who allowed Santa to deliver my Canon T2i early and thanks to my friend Nat who showed me how to get the pictures to look bigger).

Trying out my new camera on the cookies.

From Christmas_KidCity

Avery & Emily icing cookies.
From Christmas_KidCity

There were LOTS of cookies to be iced. Each child brought a dozen so we had to move quickly.
From Christmas_KidCity

Group shot in front of the Christmas tree before we left for the nursing home.
From Christmas_KidCity

I challenged all the kids to talk to the people in the home. Sit down with them, ask them questions, be the hands and feet of Christ. And thats exactly what they did.

From Christmas_KidCity

From Christmas_KidCity

From Christmas_KidCity

From Christmas_KidCity

What I wasn't anticipating was that they may get carried away with being Jesus' hands and feet and offer to push old ladies down the hall in their wheel chairs. I couldn't tell if this woman was having fun or really nervous?

From Christmas_KidCity

She gave each one of them hugs afterwards.
From Christmas_KidCity

Then we gathered around the tree and sang Christmas carols. Everybody loved it. HUGE hit.
From Christmas_KidCity

One of the ladies asked if she could stand up and sing with this girls!
From Christmas_KidCity

Now it was time to pass out the yummy cookies they had made.
From Christmas_KidCity

Look at this face!
From Christmas_KidCity

I think everybody enjoyed their cookies.
From Christmas_KidCity

During church I had asked the girls why they thought they were going to the nursing home. One of the little girls answered "Because its better to give than to receieve". Right on! I was so proud of that answer. If you're like me, these past few weeks have been insane. Seems like the to-do lists just continue to grow and life doesn't slow down. I encourage you to give the best gift of all- your time- to family, friends and even strangers this Christmas season. Because as the girls learned on Sunday, it really is better to give than receive (Acts 20:35)!

I hope everyone has a wonderful & Merry Christmas!
Candice

Nat  – (December 21, 2010 at 3:23 PM)  

Your welcome girl! That is awesome that you girls were able to bring some happiness to the elderly at the nursing home. Have a great Christmas with the inlaws!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP