NC Hot Air Balloon Festival

Last weekend my friend Mel & myself took a day trip to Statesville, NC for the 2011 NC Hot Air Balloon Festival. This has been on my NC to-do for a couple of years. I've never been before & was so excited that Mel wanted to go with me. I took 650 pictures. They were overwhelming and I've been sitting on them for over a week wanting to ignore them. But I finally went through them today and its SO hard to pick which ones to share with you. I'm warning you now: there will be LOTS of pictures in this post! And if you're still hungry for more I'll include the link so you can see them all.

The day was absolutely gorgeous. Bright blue sky & not a cloud in sight. This was the 1st balloon on the day.

From Hot Air Balloon Fest

I became obsessed with this balloon. Took way too many pictures of it.
From Collages

Mel & I even got our picture in front of it.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

When she & I are together I always take pictures of her. She loves to be in front of the camera so she makes a good subject.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Collages
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

Me on the other hand- getting less and less comfortable in front of the camera. I definitely prefer to be in the back of a camera these days. But Mel got some good ones of me.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

Like my sun booger???
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

We got to Statesville around noon. There wasn't too many people so we took pictures, did a little NC beer & wine tasting, ate a funnel cake and then did some good 'ol fashion people watching.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

After a couple of hours of chillin & people watching, it was back to work. At 4pm they brought in 50 hot air balloons & filled them up & let them take off. I couldn't believe all the people that where there by 4pm.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

It was a mad rush to get to the balloons
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

But some just hung back
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

Balloons were everywhere & people were trying to get as many pictures as they could
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

A few went up after a couple of minutes
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

And then it seemed like all 50 of them were up at once
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

I couldn't get them all on my camera there were SO many (wish I could have brought a really wide lens)
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

There were lots of volunteers to help with these massive balloons
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

But the thing that did the main work??? The burner!!!
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

This is the thing that gets these balloons in the air
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

And its HOT & it has to be to lift those balloons in the air.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

Up, up, up & away!!!!!!!!
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

After the balloons left, it was chill time until they returned. We hung out while the crowd tried to get a ride of the remaining 3 balloons.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

7pm was the highlight of the day. Its called "The Glow". Its where all 50 balloons come back and they all light up their burners at the same time once the sun goes down. Mel & I got ourselves situated on a hill with our tripods to get these night shots. You need your shutter opened longer in order to get all the light into the sensor. Some shots were good & some were great- it all just depended on when you clicked & what balloons were "glowing".
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

I love how the burner literally lights up the balloon & the people under neat it while everything else is dark.
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

Spectacular
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest
From Hot Air Balloon Fest

If you've never been to the NC Hot Air Balloon Festival- I highly recommend it! And a big thanks to Mel for coming along. I had SO much fun. Love ya!
Candice

If you want to see much more of the festival- check it out here
Hot Air Balloon Fest

Mel :) –   – (November 2, 2011 at 8:35 AM)  

LOVE the photos - as usual! I had such a great time with you... and I know what you mean about the number of photos being overwhelming... I had 550 and still have yet to edit them.

I love how you organized them all for the blog - it's such a great way to showcase the photos and the experience. You're so creative!

Love ya back!
Mel :)

Nat  – (November 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM)  

I'm so jealous. They are beautiful and you got so many great shots. I would totally pick a favorite and do a photowrap for the house. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP